Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Culture: U2 - Beautiful day

What I'm listening to: U2's Beautiful Day.

Lyric excerpt:
It's a beautiful day
Sky falls, you feel like
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
The upbeat music has lyrics that are sad but that's life!
Touch me
Take me to that other place
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case
We can't make it in this world alone. We need community to keep us in the truth and uplift us in love.

I liked the ideas offered by Dan Sawyer (scroll down a bit) in regards to this song. Excerpt:
Much more than a happy day song. Here, U2 captures the promise of hope in the midst of ugliness, as exemplified in the following excerpt: "Sky falls. You feel like it's a Beautiful Day." More to the point, it's a praise song (though not immediately obviously so).
.........
"See the sky in green and blue/
See China [read: RED] right in front of you/
See the canyons broken by clouds
[Natural Beauty]/
See the Tuna Fleets clearing the sea out
[Man destroys nature]/
See the Bedouin fires at night
[Primitive people at one with nature]/
See the Oil fields at first light
[Industrial people raping the earth]/
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
[the dove from the Genisis Flood]/
After the flood all the colors came out
[God's most enduring symbol of hope and promise]."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home