Friday, October 01, 2004

Ichiro's record breaking hit

this is an audio post - click to play


UPDATE: I was sprinting up the stairway to the seat I had in section 331 row 14 seat 4. The Rangers had just been retired and Ichiro is the lead-off batter so I knew I had to hurry. I was running up the stairs and all the fans were on their feet screaming like crazy. I stood on the stairs as he tied the record and the place went crazy.

I settled into my seats and in the third inning, I dialed the audioblog number as Ichiro started toward the plate and could barely hear a thing as the stadium 46,000+ stood as one cheering I-chi-ro! I'm sure the MP3 link above probably sounded like just a bunch of noise but it sure was exciting as he had a lengthy at-bat and then hit the record breaker!

Later that night, I found out I was sitting in section 332 row 14!! Oh, well, all's well that ends well. Ichiro would get one more hit that night and in the top of the ninth after he trotted onto the field, the manager called him back and put in a substitute at right field so Ichiro could collect one last recognition from the fans.

This is one of the reasons why I love baseball and America. Americans of all ethnic groups were in the stands cheering for a Japanese guy.

Congrats to Ichiro for an amazing accomplishment. Won't it be something the day he is inducted to the Hall of Fame?!

UPDATE: Here is a QT film of the Ichiro hit celebration and better audio than my cell phone audioblogging!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home