Friday, January 30, 2004

Super Bowl Memories, II-V


Hi Kari:

So who are the Chief fans like you rooting for in this edition of the Super Bowl?

I've already shared one memorable Super Bowl, here are four more. The thing you will soon notice is that in all cases they are memorable partly for how the game ended but also for the circumstances of my experiencing of the dramatic moments.

There is of course the Super Bowl game with "the Drive." You know of what I speak of... you were probably old enough to have seen the game. Well, I didn't see that game. I heard it. I was at my church in Los Angeles quite late that Sunday and I was driving home when I listened to Joe Montana lead his team to victory. Just amazing.

Super Bowl XXIII
San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16
Joe Robbie Stadium
Miami, Florida
January 22, 1989

==========

It would be many intervening years before there was a game that really captured my interest. Most were blow outs and the NFC dominated. But finally, John Elway at long last had a running back in Tyrell Davis that gave him a chance at the end of his career to win that illusive Super Bowl ring. I was talking up the Broncos as the team that would throw down the AFC curse (the LA Raiders were the last AFC team to win the title) and pick up the Super Bowl trophy. That Sunday, I was again at church but in San Francisco as I was living there at the time. The congregation had a large number of twenty- and thirty-something adults. Thus, one of the leaders decided it would be great to roll out a big screen television into a meeting room and have snacks and soft drinks and throw it open to anyone who wanted to show up. As you might guess it was mostly guys... probably 99%!

Elway, Davis and the Broncos got the winning TD when the Packers packed it in on defense in the final minutes of the game.

Super Bowl XXXII
Denver 31, Green Bay 24
Qualcomm Stadium
San Diego, California
January 25, 1998

=========

Two years later, I was having dinner with the extended family on Super Bowl Sunday. Ocean Seafood is one of the classic restaurants for Cantonese style seafood in Los Angeles Chinatown. So if you (or our readers) are ever in LA be sure to check it out.

Anyway, back to the game. I knew the game was nearing the end so I wandered away to the bar to take a quick look and voila, I happen to watch the final few plays as the Titans were trying to tie up the game and... just inches short! Talk about the agony of defeat!!

Super Bowl XXXIV
St. Louis 23, Tennessee 16
Georgia Dome
Atlanta, Georgia
January 30, 2000

==========

For my final memorable Super Bowl game I was doing what I do best: eat. And guess what, I didn't see the final play nor hear it on radio. I had been watching the game prior to the dinner and listening to it on radio as I drove to the restaurant but I wouldn't see the winning field goal until that night's sport's reports! We heard about about it over dinner, however.

About 16 of us were at the Buca di Beppo in Pasadena. One of my fabulous female friends was having a birthday and going away party in one. She was going overseas to teach English and business for about 9 months so it was a chance to celebrate her life and cheer her on for a big adventure.

I think there were about 16 of us. I'm not sure about the exact number. However, I am sure about the exact number of males at this party: two. Indeed, the waiter looked at me and the other male who sat next to me and gave us a look that said: how did you guys get to be so lucky to be surrounded by all these amazing women? Well, at least my male friend is truly fortunate because he is married to the woman he sat next to. Me: as Benjamin Franklin Pierce (Alan Alda) used to say in MASH, "I'm my only child."

Oh, by the way, the Patriots won with a field goal. But you knew that already.

Super Bowl XXXVI
New England 20, St. Louis 17
Louisiana Superdome
New Orleans, Louisiana
February 3, 2002

=========

Anyway, its now Super Bowl XXXVIII and I'm sticking with the Panthers. I'm not sure I'll be in front of a television or not because we will be celebrating my nephew's birthday.

Now, for the obligatory prediction (for entertainment purposes only; past performance is not an indicator of future results) Panthers 21 Patriots 20.

Who are you picking?

Enjoy,
Rene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home