Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Super Bowl Memories I


Hello Kari, Sports Super Fan:

With the Super Bowl just around the corner, I thought I'd begin a series of short little posts recounting some Super Bowl games that were memorable to me. To be honest most games are quite forgetable non-contests. And for my first of five memorable games... a blowout.

Super Bowl XVIII
Los Angeles 38, Washington 9
January 22, 1984

I remember that stupid screen pass by Washington just before halftime that was run back for a TD that sealed the fate of the Redskins. I remember that Marcus Allen just ran all over them. I remember that President Reagan called the Raiders locker-room and compared Marcus Allen to an MX missile.

Alas, that would be the last time (only two times, the other was the Rams in 1980) a Los Angeles team appeared in a Super Bowl game and the only victory.

Be well,
Rene

P.S. On a completely unrelated matter, our blog is sometimes brought up in Google searches by people interested in Lord of the Ring quotes. I really liked the short speeches given to rally the troops like:

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered!
A sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

or

Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I come singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall.

Hmm, I wonder if there are any football coaches who use stuff like that to fire up his team?

Anyway, I'm sure there must be a multitude of web sites devoted to LotR with more quotes. I took these straight from the books and I'm guessing Jackson kept them as is. I suppose I could go to the DVDs and check to be sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home