Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Skiddley diddley diddley dee

Hi-De-Ho Rene,

Re-reading the recent post about my beloved iPod, I noticed that several songs that were on my random playlist had obscure or nearly nonsensical lyrics. Do those kind of songs appeal to you as well?

Examples:
From Lyle Lovett’s “Fat Babies”:
Fat babies have no pride
Fat babies have no pride
Fat babies have no pride
And that’s okay
Who needs pride?


(Many of Lovett’s songs have quirky lyrics like that; my favorite is from “Penguins”: Penguins are so sensitive to my needs.)

From the Apples in Stereo’s “The Bird That You Can’t See”:
It’s like the bird that you can’t see
But you can hear the pretty music in the tree
It’s like the word that you can’t say
But you can sing the pretty music anyway


From Paul Simon’s “The Obvious Child”:
Well I’m accustomed to a smoother ride
Maybe I’m a dog that’s lost his bite
I don’t expect to be treated like a fool no more
I don’t expect to sleep the night
Some people say a lie is just a lie
But I say the cross is in the ballpark
Why deny the obvious child?


And of course, from Cab Calloway’s “Minnie the Moocher”:
Hi de hi de hi de hi de hi de hi de hi
Ho de ho de ho he ho de ho de ho de ho
Skiddley boo skiddley boo
Skiddley diddley diddley dee
Bourigie bourigie bourigie HA!


Usually what draws me into a song is the music, but if the lyrics are whimsical or ethereal, they’re music in their own right.

So, Rene and kind readers, what are some of your favorite obscure, fun, or nonsensical lyrics? (Click on the Comments link to share…)

Later,
Kari

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home