Friday, September 08, 2006

Travel: In and Around Vogelsang, the Land of Lovely Lakes, Yosemite 2006, Part II

Friday 18 August

Back in the city, I'm usually awake a bit before 7AM because the traffic noise outside my apartment wakes me up.

While in the wilderness, there is no traffic noise!!!

The previous day's hike up to Vogelsang took a lot out of me. However, at night, the wind kicked up so things were flapping around quite a bit and my heart rate and blood pressure was up due to the altitude which also kept me awake much of the night. All of this to say, I didn't get a great night's sleep. Yet, it seems my internal clock still functions!

I poked my head out of the tent and saw beautiful blue skies and the sun peaking over the horizon. I put on my various layers for the cool morning and grabbed my digital camera and made my way to the shore of Fletcher Lake.



After a breakfast of oatmeal bought at Trader Joes, I lay down on a rock and looked at the sky.



Can you see the moon in this picture below?



After the epic 7 mile hike the previous day, we decided it would be a light day today. I knew Vogelsang Lake and Vogelsang Pass would be worth our while after browsing this helpful web page.

Check out the panoramic of Vogelsang Lake by clicking here.

We continued on our way up to the Pass and passed by this marmot.



It sat on the rock so still, we wondered if it was dead! Eventually, it did move assuring us it was alive.

As we hiked up, I couldn't help but notice how many backpackers are senior citizens. I hope that when I reach my retirement years, I'll still be in a healthy enough state to be able to venture out into the mountains like all these folks who clearly love life and the great outdoors.

We got to Vogelsang Pass and this panorama opened up before us.

When experiencing such grandeur and beauty, one can't help but ponder "micro" details about one's life leading to a profound sense of thanksgiving. For instance, I knew that the opportunity to enjoy this amazing place was made possible by traveling with my buddy Leonard. Indeed, some people backpack alone but I would not feel comfortable doing so. Fortunate for me, I have at least one friend who enjoys the outdoors enough to go on this small adventure. Thanks Leonard for making the cross-country flight to make the backcountry hike!

I have to say, my mind also went to "macro" thoughts. If God is viewed as an artist, then God works on a large canvas and yet has the greatest attention to the smallest detail. I wondered: is the artist's satisfaction in the work complete? Or is there a part of the artist who derives some additional pleasure when someone sees the work?

On this day, how many people would pass through Vogelsang Pass and marvel at the view?

How many would think of God the artist as they did so?

We had a leisurely lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and gorp snacks. Our version included Trader Joe Nuts, Trader Joe Dried Fruit and M and M candies.

We hiked back toward Vogelsang Lake and here I am with Vogelsang Lake in the background.



During our hike up to Vogelsang the day before, we had run into a day hiker who shared that he went fishing at Townsley Lake which is just above Fletcher Lake. He said it wasn't hard to get to. After lounging around at Fletcher Lake, we decided to go take a look at the lake he touted.

Here is one of the waterfalls from Townsley Lake that drain into Fletcher Lake.



We got over the rocks and the large beautiful lake was in view!



All of the lakes were amazing but this one's size, color and surroundings was probably my favorite. None of the lakes could be fully captured by my digital panoramic shots but it was the best I could do to try to capture the scene to share with everyone. Click here for a view of Townsley!

When I think back at all the beautiful lakes, creeks and meadows, I can't help but think of Psalm 1:3
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

Part I
Part II
Part III
Pictures and Panoramics only - slow load multiple pictures
Panoramics only - slow load 7 large images

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home